Friday, April 29, 2011

It's Time to Dare to be.


I'm not a huge Transformers collector, though I do have a handful of figures I've picked up. I have a halfway decent Prime, a bunch of Bumblebees, and some other random toys.

But this is an exception.

Wreck-Gar is, by far, my favorite character from Transformers. If you have no idea who this is, don't feel bad: he's pretty obscure.


In 1986, Transformers: The Movie was released. Wreck-Gar, leader of the Junkions, was voiced by Eric Idle. He spoke only English he'd learned from watching Earth TV (apparently mostly commercials). There was a dance party.

And it was glorious.



I never really thought the character would be remade, at least not the original design. But here we are. The likeness in the face is just about perfect. The character design has been streamlined, but that's life.

It takes some serious effort to transform this guy, so I'm kind of planning on leaving him in robot mode. Some day, I'd like to have another (he's designed so he can ride the toy in motorcycle form, as in the movie). Sadly, I'm not sure that will ever happen, since I'm in no hurry to drop another $25. Did I forget to mention that?

Yes, since I haven't seen this in stores (despite looking for months), I broke down and ordered him online, a move that set me back some serious dough. Oh, well. The things we do for love.

At any rate, I hope to someday find another for a more reasonable price. Until then, Wreck-Gar will just have to ride a robot dinosaur into battle. Because he's just too damn cool to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment