Friday, May 27, 2011

Back To The Future Minimates DeLoreoaaaaah, actually it's a "Time Machine"


The DeLorean DMC-12 is a trademarked automobile which was shown in the Back to the Future films. Toy companies which might want to produce a toy of that DeLorean would need to separately buy the rights to both the movie AND the rights to use to use the DeLorean name.

If, on the other hand, you just wanted to produce a "Time Machine" from the movie, you'd only need to pay for the rights to the Back to the Future license.


Where's the iconic DMC symbol? Why doesn't the package contain the name of the car? Fans bitch and moan, then we buy the toy anyway. Then we bitch and moan some more. It's what fans do.

I've never really had much interest in Diamond's Minimate figures, though they are certainly cute. The thing is, cute or not, they're usually really expensive for what amounts to glorified Lego figures (not that those are all that reasonably priced these days).


However, I did kind of fall in love with this Minimate vehicle. I mentioned this to my wife, who managed to remember at Christmas. And, wouldn't you know it, I found this under the tree (well, the metaphorical tree, anyway: no way we'd fit a real tree in this tiny apartment).

The decals had to applied:


This is a sweet toy. It captures the feel of the vehicle, even in the adorably deformed style. It doesn't light up (sadly), but the bright blue plastic conveys the sense of energy.


In addition to the car, you get a mini-Marty, complete with alternate hands and hair. I have to admit he's a nice toy.


This is actually the second "Time Machine" I own from Diamond Select. I also have the larger light-up version, which is also a nice toy. This was a gift, so I don't know for sure what my wife paid. I know these started at around fifteen or so, though I've seen them more recently going for ten. Check your local Toys R Us.

I'm really happy with this, and think I can declare my Back to the Future collection complete. I mean, it's not like they're going to come out with a 'flying version' in this scale, right? Right?

Oh, crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment