Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ertl 1989 Batmobile


Last year, my wife and I found a talking Edna Mode in a St. Vincent de Paul thrift shop in Seattle Washington for something like three or four bucks. This year, seeing as we were back in the city for a few days, we decided to see if lightning would strike twice.


Well, it wasn't quite the same level of a find, but I found a plastic bag containing a bunch of small toys going for two dollars. One of those toys was a 1989 Ertl Batmobile. There were also some other assorted toys of interest, including a few Star Wars Galactic Heroes, which we kept (unfortunately, we wound up throwing out some of the other contents, since we had limited space in our luggage).

I like the detail work here. The shape's a little off from the movie, but it's instantly recognizable. I do wish they'd skipped the giant bat symbol on top, as it wasn't in the film.

The scale is also interesting. It's significantly larger than Hotwheels. I'm guessing this is around 1:48, but I'm not really sure. Here's a picture side by side with a Hotwheels Batmobile:


Other than the wheels, there are no features or moving parts. What you see is what I got.

When I was looking through the photos, I noticed a detail I'd initially overlooked: there's a small Batman in the driver's seat. It's incredibly difficult to see him beneath the glass, but he's there. Here's the best picture I could manage:


Not bad for a few bucks. Not bad at all.

2 comments:

  1. i like that they put a tiny Batman in the cockpit. loved that car

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I think one of our local comic book shop has one of these and i never knew there was a little Batman inside.

    ReplyDelete